I hate it when life doesn’t go according to plan.
I’m a meticulous planner who lives by my calendar. My husband jokes that I even have to pencil in time for him. But I love being organized and knowing what to expect. I’m not a huge fan of surprises.
Well, this past weekend—nothing went according to plan. As I sit here and reflect on it, I’ve come to some very important realizations.
1. My plan is not always God’s plan, so I need to let it go and follow His lead!
2. Surprises can be a really good thing. In writing, a lot of authors will tell you their characters have often surprised them by doing things they didn’t plan on. Usually, those are the more natural turn of events, and thus more poignant.
3. My plan might not have been the best one. That’s silly though…My plans are always brilliant. (just kidding)
4. If a project is delayed, sometimes it is for the better. I’ve had several things at work where I haven’t gotten them up and running like I had planned. But that delay led to a greater idea with bigger potential.
5. If everything did go according to plan, there wouldn’t be any element of adventure or excitement. Surprises are part of the spice of life.
All things considered, I had a nice weekend. I’m still going to plan out my week as detailed as possible, but that comes with a grain of salt.
I think I may love it when life doesn’t go according to plan.